Tuesday, January 22, 2013

We are on Phi Phi!

Hello again,

It has been one heck of a day here in Thailand!  Veronica and I were picked up this morning and taken to the Royal Marina Phuket for our speedboat transfer to the Zeavola resort in Koh Phi Phi.   The marina was beautiful and it was fun to look at the houses and yachts.  The day got more amazing as we arrived in Phi Phi.  Words cannot really describe the beauty of the place with its high cliffs and transparent glowing emerald waters.

It was so beautiful that we didn't want to waste any time relaxing in our bungalow during the daylight.  We decided to hire a long-tail boat to take us on a beach and snorkeling excursion.  We boarded the boat and then all hell broke loose.  I suddenly had a gurgle in my belly and realized I had either eaten some bad food or drank the wrong water.  I instantly knew (to some extent) what was going to happen very soon.

Here is a quick quiz question for you:  What does one do when explosive diarrhea is imminent, but you have just arrived to a very small beach, with a dozen other people present, the beach is surrounded on 3 sides by sheer cliffs and on the remaining side by snorkelers in crystal clear water?

This elf handled the situation by snorkeling out past the other swimmers and then completing an incredible choreographed underwater ballet.  The dance consisted of pulling down my trunks and undergarment, expelling #3, continually and quickly swimming away from it, monitoring all aspects of my situation, all while laughing and trying not to choke.  Yes, this actually happened........ x7.    Seven times I had to disrobe and poo in the ocean. Veronica was not sure whether it was funny, disgusting or a combination of both.  She did find me to be quite a trooper in the handling of the situation and continuing the excursion.  She said not to ever expect her to do the same.

This occurred in Nui Bay, which was quite extraordinary.  I wish I could have focused a little more on the beauty of the setting.  After Nui Bay, we went to Monkey Beach in Loh Da Lum Bay.  It was an incredible adventure.  Veronica and I snorkeled through and around rock formations and caves.  It was surreal.  Then the monkeys showed up at the beach.  There must have been 30 monkeys.  People fed the monkeys and our guide even showed us how to share water with them.

I am looking forward to Phi Phi day 2 tomorrow.  Hopefully, my stomach issues will be better by morning.  That reminds me, I have to go.... Now!

Royal Phuket Marina


Thai for "hotel lobby"

Towel elephant on the bed


Mosquito net, also known as "quick bathroom exit obstruction"

Nui Bay, the scene of the crime


Our guide sharing water with the monkeys
The "angry monkey" from the Family Guy



No comments:

Post a Comment